ShoreMusic.org
Posted By: Matthews 4x4 Block Schedule and School Music - 03/27/2007 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by KSA
The continuance of All-Shore Band will depend on the strength of the band programs in both counties. This involves all directors and students involved, as well as the administration.
There have been some lean years but the "SOL scare" has really hurt the bands, along with the 4x4 block schedule.

This topic is as old as the 4x4 block schedule, and many school districts have modified the 4x4 block for the reasons that we'll discuss. I was reading in the ASBDA Curriculum Guide (American School Band Director Association) about scheduling and music programs. Through their observations and research, they state that one of the quickest ways to destroy an arts program is to adopt the 4X4 Block Schedule.

The problem isn't so much the 90 minute class, as much as it is the idea of switching semesters after 18 weeks. (I prefer the longer class because it lends itself more to a rehearsal) When students are forced to choose which semester they're going to take band, it makes the band weaker as a whole. On top of that, they are choosing between two band classes each semester.

I've been speculating on the numbers, and I estimate that Arcadia High could easily have a 40 piece ensemble if band was offered for the full year. I was speaking to a friend of mine, over the weekend, about scheduling. (who is also a band director, and a former All Shore conductor) His school system handles certain electives on a full year, while other electives are offered on a semester basis.

When I'm at school, I'll post some of the ASBDA's ideas on block scheduling and what we can do to make it more art's friendly. In the mean time, what are your ideas on it?
Posted By: clarisax4 Re: 4x4 Block Schedule and School Music - 03/27/2007 10:49 PM
i totally agree on the topic on having band as a yearly class
© ShoreMusic.org