ShoreMusic.org
Posted By: Matthews Thinking of buying a guitar? - 12/19/2006 6:52 AM
Thinking of buying a guitar? First, let me warn you. If you want a quality instrument, do not buy it from a department store. It is more important to avoid frustration when learning an instrument. Buying a substandard instrument will add to the "Am I reallying doing this right?" dilemma. Having a decent instrument will allow you to not second guess the instrument..

Anyway, if you're just starting out on the guitar, I highly recommend a nylon string guitar. The frets are farther apart and the strings are gentler on your fingers.

A steel string guitar can get painful rather quickly.

For around $118.99, this is a good deal:
http://www.wwbw.com/Yamaha-CS40-Classical-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-i38361.music

Posted By: kornkid77 Re: Thinking of buying a guitar? - 12/19/2006 9:20 PM
yeah i agree....NEVER GET A FIRST ACT...haha.

A good starting guitar would be a fender, or like an ibanez starter pack. I started out with those and the pack comes with everything, a strap, amp, tuner, and extra strings.
Posted By: skyler Re: Thinking of buying a guitar? - 01/04/2007 3:52 PM
eww
o0k i will do that
Posted By: Mikey Re: Thinking of buying a guitar? - 01/04/2007 3:55 PM
i started off on a ibenez and i still use the same guitar.but i play bass so i dident really have the nylon string option so i reccomend playing electric or acustic first then switch to bass
Posted By: Mr.Z Re: Thinking of buying a guitar? - 01/04/2007 8:44 PM
If you want to play bass, play bass. There is actually a world of difference between bass technique and guitar technique. Some of the techniques overlap, but there are significant differences. Bass players tend to play with their fingers flat, as that gives them more strength, but a guitar player uses the tips of their fingers more. Also, a guitar will not teach you how to get the sound out of a bass, that takes much more work than a guitar to do correctly on a bass. The idea was good, but I play both, and am really a very good bass player, but only a decent guitar player.
Posted By: kornkid77 Re: Thinking of buying a guitar? - 01/04/2007 9:43 PM
yeah i agree with Mr. Z, they are two completly different instuments, but share similar techniques 8)
Posted By: skyler Re: Thinking of buying a guitar? - 01/10/2007 3:34 PM
mhmm even though i dont play either one very well
Posted By: KSA Re: Thinking of buying a guitar? - 04/04/2007 6:24 PM
A more "classical" guitar with nylon strings gives you a chance to develop finger technique without the use of a pick. That is what I have always played & don't mind that the sound is not as loud as a steel stringed guitar.
© ShoreMusic.org