ShoreMusic.org
Posted By: holy moly Reeds for soft playing - 03/08/2003 6:13 AM
Am practicing for playing "church/hymnal music" with guitars and singers. The 2-1/2 strength reeds I'm using on my Tenor Sax are perfectly fine in Community Band situations, but I need to play softly with easy response especially in the low register, A,G,F,E,D,C. I'm pretty certain that a lighter reed like a 2 is the way to help in this particular situation, but want someone's opinion or advice from experience, if a 1-1/2 strength may be a choice worth considering. Can you shed some light on this for me?
Posted By: Matthews Re: Reeds for soft playing - 03/12/2003 7:27 PM
A softer reed will definately help with the lower register, but it adds the problem of intonation. The softer reed will want to play on the flat side of the pitch, and will require more embouchure work in order to get it to play in tune. The softer reed should also help lower the volume produced. It'll probably take a bit of experimentation to come up with a good solution. Regardless of the reed, you want to be sure to provide good air support so that your tone comes out nicely. Good luck!
© ShoreMusic.org