ShoreMusic.org
Posted By: Hanna Starting a band at my College! - 10/07/2010 8:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I miss the shore so much! There truly is no place like the shore! I am trying to start a band club here at Mount
Mercy Univeristy in Iowa, were I go to school. We had a small info meeting and I got a total of 6 people! That is not very many but I'm hoping to grow from that. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, after all I�m not an expert on leading a band!

Hanna
Posted By: Matthews Re: Starting a band at my College! - 10/08/2010 4:33 AM
That's a great idea, and 6 is not a bad number for starting out. Maybe you could start out by asking everyone to bring in any old programs they were in, or maybe a list of the songs they've played and liked (or didn't!)

Do you know how many of them have their own instrument? Ultimately, you're gonna want to try playing something, so either you could check out this website (which has full scores and individual parts for pieces of music that are now in the Public Domain):

BandMusicPDF.org

You could also browse JWPepper.com for something to play.

Do you know what the instrumentation is?

Sounds exciting! Good luck and keep us posted!
Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 10/28/2010 5:45 AM
I had my meeting with the Student Government tonight to become a club! I have to do a constitution and present it! I�m a little nervous. I have at least a trumpet, flute, and drums that seem to be committed plus I think another trumpet and maybe a few more. Thanks for the websites! I�ve heard of the first one but did not know the exact name of it!

P.S. On a side note I will be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas! Hope to see you and maybe even play a little some with the bands. When is the Christmas concert for the schools?...and for Community band?
Posted By: justin ullom Re: Starting a band at my College! - 10/28/2010 2:54 PM
Your not the only one who misses the shore, I do too and i'm only like an hour away but i'm so tied up in school i can't get back for more than a day.
Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 10/29/2010 6:11 AM
Who just replyed?? I am 24 hours:( away!
Posted By: justin ullom Re: Starting a band at my College! - 11/04/2010 2:19 PM
justin
Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 11/09/2010 1:13 AM
thats who I thought it was!! Hope everything is going good for you!!
Posted By: justin ullom Re: Starting a band at my College! - 11/12/2010 1:10 AM
eh well it is and its not lol
Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 11/12/2010 6:24 AM
there are always positives and negatives in life! You'll make it!!
Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 11/12/2010 6:27 AM
So this band thing seems to be coming together! We are half way through the process of becoming a club! i have to present our constitution to the other clubs in December! We are preforming for the first time a week from today...and I am so nervous!! There is going to be two trumpets, a flute, and me(clarinet) plus I found one of my friends from drama who is willing to conduct the march and sing the Christmas Hymms with us! I feel like this could be the start of something good!
Posted By: Matthews Re: Starting a band at my College! - 11/22/2010 5:50 PM
Very cool, I hope it goes well! Where are you getting your music?
Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 12/12/2010 4:03 AM
So far we have been playing out of hymnnals and bringing in what ever we can find. We do not have enough people to play actual peices but with time we will! I just got into VA tonight and here for the month!

Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 02/18/2011 5:43 AM
We are now offically a Mount Mercy Club!!!! As of 2/14/11!! I'm so excited...we will be hosting our first campus event with the Drama Club next Tuesday...The talent Show!!
Posted By: Matthews Re: Starting a band at my College! - 02/24/2011 2:44 AM
Nice, congrats!
Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 04/14/2011 9:39 PM
We will be having our budget meeting for next year next week!

Posted By: Hanna Re: Starting a band at my College! - 09/13/2011 6:16 PM
Last night was our first practice with a band conductor...thats right!! Over summer our school hired a "music cordinator"!!! Everything from last year has paid off! We have 15 people at our first practice with 8 people having class/conflicts on Monday nights! It was a dream come true! Although I can't play half the notes in our music...I'll get it!!

Posted By: Matthews Re: Starting a band at my College! - 11/03/2011 11:08 PM
Very cool! And to think this is your brainchild! You make me very proud Hanna!
© ShoreMusic.org