Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#523 03/13/2006 7:34 PM
Jedi Master
OP Offline
Jedi Master
Greetings. I received this message from the American Youth Symphony and was wondering what you think about it:

Hip-Hop music which now represents mainstream music for the majority of students nationwide, presents a unique dilemma in American society. Unlike earlier periods of "teenage" music such as Jazz or Rock and Roll, the issues extend far beyond matters of content. For the first time in history, an entire generation--from kids to college graduates-- is being brought up on a diet of electronic, non-melodious music and technology is being misused to circumvent the development of musical skill (See Forbes article Noted Jazz Musician Says MTV/Hip Hop Generation May Kill Classical and Jazz Music at http://www.hardboplife.com).

This conference, which will involve the collaboration of top leaders in the music industry and the educational and artistic communities, needs the participation of your Sociology and/or Music Departments to gather opinions and perceptions of its students.

So, any thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by Matthews; 11/04/2006 1:12 PM.

Matthews

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski
#524 11/03/2006 11:44 AM
M
M
I personally think that rap is destroying the youth of society. The style of music has created a whole new social society where people wear the same style of clothing and create gangs. People actually look up to these people as role models and thats fine, but if a rapper talks in his lyrics about gang violence or drugs, a fan could look at that and interpret it as being "cool".

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"
#525 11/03/2006 12:32 PM
B
B
I think that rap music is turning my generation into gang bangers hip-hop is not as bad as rap music which only talks about drugs, sex, and money.

Attached Images
585-Spanky.jpg (0 Bytes, 166 downloads)

Mr.1025
B
B
i think rap is rude, they talk about unhealthy things that little people dont need to know. well that is just my opinion. i hope it does NOT absolutley NOT kill rock, or any other type of better music. hip hop is kind of cool and i agree with crip_09 because rap is all of those things that he talked about. hopefully the world will realize that they need to ban rap music because of what it walks about.
that is what i think.

Flautist!<3
Jedi Master
OP Offline
Jedi Master
For the first time in history, an entire generation--from kids to college graduates-- is being brought up on a diet of electronic, non-melodious music and technology is being misused to circumvent the development of musical skill

Keep in mind that we're not talking about the content of the music. We're talking about the skill involved in making this music. Check out the quote above. Much of the music is created using a computer, which doesn't require the skill inovled in playing an instrument like a flute or a guitar.

Matthews

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski
M
M
Oh well in that case......Music is sound, and if really doesnt matter if it comes from a computer or through instruments. Some of the greatest rock bands use computers for fills and ambiences, such as Nine Inch Nails, Korn, and Mindless Self Indulgence. I totally disagree with this music, but just because some people dont like the style of music, doesnt mean we cant catagorize it with all the other styles of music.

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"
N
N
i think that all musicians including hip hop makers should become more like earth wind and fire,tower of power,etc...
because they use actual instruments in there music if that were to longer to comtinue then bad things would happen
if u say u play an instrument then actual know how to play dont get out a computer and make some beat that way get out a drum set!
you see kids beat on desks with pens and stuff
and u wonder why arent they in band
maybe they're intimitated i dont know
but if you mention it to "some" of them they r like no way man band is for geeks or nerds
i guess they'll never know because of waht the listen to since that hip hop artist makes beats of the computer and they might want to be like that
or
they think band is stupid
whatever im in band
i've got a future and its not in computer music making

if jesus were to fight a t-rex who wud win?
M
M
The times are changing, and with rap artists looking toward computers for their beats, its hard for kids to get the inspiration to learn to play an instrument. We cant let our generation be labeled as the "lazy music generation".

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"
C
C
to be totally honest with everybody i like all type of music and rap just happen ens to be my favorites type of music i like rap but all this new rap i cant stand all they talk is about is girls(hookers) and how many cars they have and all the jewelry they have and it is retarded and also they also talk about they are drug dealers or killers and it is retarded. i think rap music should go back to the way it used to be. i think all music is cool except country i hate that type of music.

Mo MoNeY Mo PrObLeMs!!!!!!!

We FlY HiGh No LiE YoU KnOw Dis BALLIN!!!!!!!
J
J
Well i LOVE and lisson to all music...I enjoy rap and like the beats but I do agree that the words and thoughts are miss used. In some rap I think that people are trying to explain things and people should learn from the songs and try to make some changes!!

As for the way it is being made... I beleive that playing the music is the best part about it. Beats for Rap and rock should be made on drums, Country and rock should use real gutars, and all with real voices!! I beleive that all music is conected in one way or another!!

This conference sounds like something I would like to here more about!!

Hanna O'Toole
Lefty

Take time to laugh, its the music of the soul.
-- Source Unknown
Jedi Master
OP Offline
Jedi Master
I think this is a very valid topic. Unfortunately, the dvd they sent me (It's a Hard Bop Life) was very poorly produced. The acting was shoddy, the sound quality was horribly... I'm going to have to sit down and watch it and take notes.

Matthews

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Jonathon B, JoshuaPeterson1, byrd, bRiTt, bjr
131 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Accomack Community Band Gallery
Princess Tea Party
Princess Tea Party
by Matthews, October 1
November 10, 2007 - Onley Veteran's Day Parade
 July 4, 2007 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
July 4, 2007 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
by Matthews, November 13
July 4th, 2006 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
July 4th, 2006 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
by Matthews, November 13
July 4th, 2005 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
July 4th, 2005 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
by Matthews, November 13
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.

Comments or Suggestions?
Let us know!

Site created & maintained by:
ShoreMusic.org

Last modified: April 25 2021 11:20:28.