Who's Online Now
0 members (), 39 guests, and 107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
Matthews 663
skyler 146
kornkid77 138
clarisax4 123
Hanna 100
wdize 86
Beth_L 48
LadyMab 39
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics666
Posts1,829
Members131
Most Online860
Nov 8th, 2023
Member Spotlight
Mikey
Mikey
band
Popular Topics (Views)
9,346 advice
ShoreMusic Gallery
Riddle me this, Riddle me that...
Riddle me this, Riddle me that...
by Matthews, November 13
Can You Name the 75 Bands?
Can You Name the 75 Bands?
by Matthews, November 13
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#788 12/13/2006 12:32 PM
M
OP Offline
M
i was watching this cool documentary on VH1 Classic last night about the whole entire history of metal and hard rock. It was in four episodes, with each one being about one hour long....

But while watching, i got a better understanding about the history of metal and all of the sub-genera's and where they came from.

Most people agree that metal started with Black Sabbath, some also believe it started with Led Zeppelin, but whatever....

But this is how is see everything....

The Grandfathers of metal are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. After this group of people then bands like AC/DC, and Van Halen started coming out with their stuff and metal was finally being recognized by the public. In encyclopedias, many people associate eras of music with a certain place...exp, Elvis in the fifty's with Memphis, and night clubs in New York with the 70's. Well the 80's has its music scene with the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles, California. Many of the greatest 80's metal bands came from this time period. Many include, Motley Cure, Ratt, Quiet Riot, and Twisted Sister.

While this scene grew bigger and bigger, more record labels were picking up new bands around this area and Glam metal, and Hair metal was created. Many more of the bands from this era include Cinderella, Poison, and LA Guns.

This type of music would soon be rejected because times were changing and kids soon learned that this was not the life style that they wanted to live under...and soo during the 80's hair metal time period, there was another type of music that lay dormant and hated the entire scene that was happening, so Trash Metal was born...

The bands that laid the foundation of this musical period were Anthrax, Megadeth , Slayer, and most notorious, Metallica.

With the release of the "Black Album" from Metallica, people finally realized that metal was taking over the world....

The nineties saw the birth of the sub-genre of metal called "Nu-Metal" which was birthed by Korn. Other famous bands from this period were Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and Papa Roach. Metal was still around but kind of in the shadows with bands known but not liked....like Pantera, and Fear Factory.

Up until the late early 2000's music pretty much stayed the same. Until early 2003, when the world was introduced to Killswitch Engage. They single handedly created the hybrid between metal, and hardcore, called Metalcore. Today music in this catagory has grown and grown, some include Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, All that Remains, and many many more....

Where the future takes us.....well i guess we will just have to wait and see!!!

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"
M
OP Offline
M
yeah it took me a long time to type this....lmao

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Nice post! I grew up on a healthy regimen of Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Black Sabbath, and Queen. I followed that whole evolution up until the Metalcore. I'm open to listen to it, but my musical taste has changed quite a bit since then. I still enjoy listening to old Metallica (pre-Black Album), but I have to be in a specific mood to listen to it.

I'm scared to say it, but a lot of the new metal music I hear now is not very appealing. I miss the days when bands had lead singers, not lead screamers. I guess I need to give it more of a chance...

Matthews

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski
N
N
yummy i proud of u jt

if jesus were to fight a t-rex who wud win?
M
OP Offline
M
yeah i understand why u like the whole metalcore scene...but u kinda have to enter into it, like training wheels, but once u get into it, its very emotional and meaningful. Plus u have the media and people stereotyping the music, so society sees it as just "people who are angry, and people who worship satan".

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"
C
C
i just went to a killswitch concert and it was the greatest concert ever.if you get a chanceto go to a metal concert go.it is the greatest experience ever.

music=life
M
OP Offline
M
i bet it was....WELL IM HEAR TO ANNOUNCE THAT I WILL BE GOING TO THE BEST CONCERT OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!.......READY?.....ARE U SURE?.....OK, HERE IT IS

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
DRAGONFORCE
CHIMIARA
HE IS LEGEND

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"
M
OP Offline
M
BEAT THAT MIKEY....ACUTALLY, i bet ur gonna be coming with us..lol

"mmmmmmmm, donuts"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Jonathon B, JoshuaPeterson1, byrd, bRiTt, bjr
131 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Accomack Community Band Gallery
Princess Tea Party
Princess Tea Party
by Matthews, October 1
November 10, 2007 - Onley Veteran's Day Parade
 July 4, 2007 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
July 4, 2007 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
by Matthews, November 13
July 4th, 2006 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
July 4th, 2006 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
by Matthews, November 13
July 4th, 2005 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
July 4th, 2005 - Accomac Bicycle Parade
by Matthews, November 13
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.

Comments or Suggestions?
Let us know!

Site created & maintained by:
ShoreMusic.org

Last modified: April 25 2021 11:20:28.